Free School Meals
There are many advantages of claiming Free School Meals. As well as ensuring that pupils are getting a healthy meal every day, we are also able to provide better facilities, books, computers and classrooms amongst other benefits. It is to the advantage of every pupil in school, that all parents who are eligible to claim for free school meals should do so; even if your child does not take the free school meal.
Who is eligible for Free School Meals?
Your child may be able to get free school meals if you get any of the following:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guaranteed element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit - if you apply on or after 1 April 2018 your household income must be less than £7,400 a year (after tax and not including any benefits you get)
All existing Free School Meals claimants will continue to receive free school meals whilst Universal Credit is rolled out until March 2022. This will apply even if their earnings rise above the new threshold during that time.
Any existing claimants that no longer meet the eligibility criteria at that point (because they are earning above the threshold or are no longer a recipient of Universal Credit) will continue to receive free school meals until the end of their current phase of education (i.e. primary or secondary).
How can I check my eligibility and apply?
It is now possible to check to see if you are eligible for Free School Meals by completing a quick and simple online application. To check if you are eligible, make a new claim or continue with a previous application:
In most cases:
- A response will be provided immediately
- You will not need to provide proof to the school
- You will not need to reapply to confirm continued eligibility
To complete an application, you will need:
- Your Full Name and Date of Birth
- Contact Details (Address, Phone and Email)
- National Insurance Number or National Asylum Seekers Number
- Child's Name and Date of Birth